Masonry fireplaces are common in Twin Cities homes to battle the cold winters. To keep your home warm during these days, you should keep your chimney clean and well maintained. These preventive measures also make sure that you and your family are safe.
Benefits of Chimney Maintenance
To ensure protection and comfort, schedule a periodic cleaning and sweeping of your chimney. Regular maintenance can be beneficial in several ways:
1. It removes accumulated creosote, a combustible byproduct of charred wood.
2. It keeps your fireplace working, especially during winter.
3. It prolongs the chimney’s service life.
4. It saves on costly repairs by fixing smaller issues before they become worse.
5. It prevents structural damage to your ceiling, walls, and other components of your home.
Signs of Chimney Repair
During chimney inspection, roofing contractors in St. Paul, MN, can detect signs of damage that needs prompt repair. Some of the common chimney problems are:
1. Missing bricks and mortar – Even one missing brick can cause the whole chimney to break down. Make sure that the bricks are bonded together with mortar and that missing ones are replaced immediately.
2. Broken bricks and mortar – Due to exposure to rain, sun, and wind, the bricks and mortar will deteriorate over time. Other culprits are age and improper installation. Make sure that you replace broken bricks immediately and repair any damaged mortar. When getting a new fireplace, hire experts to ensure proper installation.
3. Leaks – The flashing is the material applied around the base of the chimney. It prevents water from leaking through your home. During inspection, make sure that flashing is intact to prevent water damage.
4. Water damage – As bricks and mortar are porous materials, these are susceptible to moisture damage. To prevent this, install chimney caps to prevent water from flowing through.
With preventive measures, you can keep your fireplace in good shape before winter. At Garlock-French Corporation, we can inspect and clean your chimney thoroughly. We can keep your entire home safe with our gutter services and metal roofing in Minneapolis and the nearby areas. We also offer repair services, such as rebuilding, tuck-pointing, clay flue replacement, and chimney crown rebuilding and replacement. We can also waterproof all of the masonry components.
Keep your home prepared before winter and schedule chimney maintenance today. You can call us at (612) 444-8900. Learn more about our chimney repairs in the next installment of this series.