Minneapolis has its fair share of severe weather systems which is not surprising given that is has a continental climate, which also mean that the temperatures between the warmest and coldest months ranges high.
Roofs and gutters in Minneapolis are the ones that suffer most from the weather’s effects. Being exposed to such extremities also ages your roof before its time and is also a contributing factor to premature damage. Since these parts of your home make sure that you are protected not only from harmful external elements, it is your responsibility as homeowners to keep it in good condition.
Old and damaged roofs usually lead to a loss in energy efficiency and greater expenses. Here are some tips on how to assess your home’s energy efficiency:
DIY ENERGY ASSESSMENT TIPS
• Check the insulation in your attic, exterior and basement walls, ceilings, floors, and crawl spaces. To determine the insulation R-values in different parts of your home, visit the Air Leaks and Insulation sections.
• Check for air leaks around your walls, ceilings, windows, doors, lighting and plumbing fixtures, switches, and electrical outlets.
• Check for open fireplace dampers.
• Make sure your appliances and heating and cooling systems are properly maintained. Check your owner’s manuals for the recommended maintenance.
• Study your family’s lighting needs and look for ways to use controls–like sensors, dimmers, or timers–to reduce lighting use.
These are all important steps. However, the best one to take is have your old roof replaced. New roofs are more energy efficient because some companies today, like Garlock-French Corporation, are prioritizing this feature. And with new technology and materials, we can assure you better protection and more long-lasting roofing systems.
You can’t expect old roofs with outdated materials to be energy efficient. Therefore, the best move is to have them replaced by our team at Garlock-French Corporations. We have been providing the best roof and gutters in Minneapolis MN for over 80 years we make sure that we are always updated on new techniques, technology and products to better serve our fellow residents.