Winter is just around the corner, and we Minnesotans know what this means: an average daily temperature below zero and, of course, heavy snowfall. With chilly days like these, we at Garlock-French Corporation, trusted roofing contractors in Minneapolis, recommend preparing your roofs for winter as early as now.
To help you winterize your roof this fall, we came up with this helpful checklist to serve as your guide to ensure that your roof is ready for winter:
- Roof inspection is a must. Look for damaged, loose, or missing shingles. Have them fixed or get them replaced if necessary.
- Inspect the flashing, vents, skylights, and other joints and/or openings thoroughly. These might have been damaged by previous weather disturbances.
- Check the areas that are commonly the first to get damaged during severe weather occurrences. Areas like your roof’s valleys and peaks are susceptible to leaks, especially when thunderstorms and hailstorms frequent your area.
- Clean gutters and make sure the downspouts and drains are leak-free. Remove debris from the gutters and downspouts as leaves, twigs, and other rubbish could block the waterways and cause the water to spill over your roof. Furthermore, the weight of frozen leaves and muck could cause your gutters to sag or even fall off.
- Check your gutters for signs of granules. These granules come from shingles that are way past their life span and need replacing.
- Make sure that your roofing underlayment system is equipped with an ice and water shield for protection from water-related issues, including wind-driven rain, flowing water, ice dams, seepage, and more.
- If you have trees surrounding your house, you have to remove branches that are hanging over your roof. In the occasion of an intense storm, these could fall and severely damage your roof.
- Check with your friendly neighborhood roofer to make sure that your roof is in tip-top condition before winter comes.
For your needs in roofing in St. Paul, Minneapolis, Edina, Minnetonka, White Bear Lake, and the surrounding areas, the one you can truly trust is Garlock-French Corporation. We are committed to providing top roofing services and products to guarantee that your roof will not only look great but also last a long time to withstand Minnesota’s tough weather conditions. Feel free to call us or browse through our website to learn more about our roofing products and services.