Hiring a roofing contractor for your roofing project isn’t exactly a walk in the park. Homeowners usually need to have new roofs installed only once or twice in their lifetime, with maybe a few maintenance stops every few years — far from something being done on a daily basis.
For homeowners, it feels like the first time is every time; it’s easy to get lost in the technical jargon, product specifications, and warranty information when evaluating proposals from roofing contractors in St. Paul, MN.
Roofing contractors likewise have to face a variety of clients with different knowledge levels. To ease the process for both, here are five things homeowners should know about their roofing projects:
- Price and Value Are Two Different Things. There will always be that contractor who will try to underbid their competitors, but remember: a lower price doesn’t necessarily equate to better value. Don’t risk getting a bad product and inferior service by basing your evaluation on more than just the price. Consider the contractor’s experience, feedback from past customers, and whether or not they have received certification and training from the manufacturers they represent.
- Routine Maintenance is Important. We can’t stress enough the importance of regular maintenance inspections, and how many years you can add to your St. Paul roofing lifespan if every small problem is addressed immediately. Find a contractor who can service your and perform repairs – who better to do this than the people who installed it?
- Understand When Your Roof is Simply Beyond Repair. You have to accept the fact that every roof has a lifespan, and if yours has reached its own then repairs just won’t do anymore. If a problem persists despite a lot of repairs done, talk to your contractor so you can budget accordingly.
- Find a Reliable Contractor. By “reliable” we mean established, reputable, and competent. Check for proper licensing, appropriate and valid insurance, product certifications, and whether or not they do the work themselves. This is a risk for you, so don’t be afraid to ask your contractors for their subcontractors’ insurance or licenses.
- Ask the Contractor for Their NCRA Membership. The National Roofing Contractors Association is a nonprofit organization whose mission is “to inform and assist the roofing industry, act as its principal advocate and help members in serving their customers.” Active members are kept up-to-date about industry regulations and best practices that keep their customers happy – from roof inspections to installation of metal roofing in Minneapolis.
To know more about what Garlock-French Corporation can do for your next roofing project, give us a call at (612) 444-8900. We can also provide you with the gutter cleaning services you need. We also handle sheet metal, gutters, roofing, chimneys and masonry in the Minneapolis, Edina, White Bear Lake and Minnetonka areas.