Slate Steep Slope Roofing In Minneapolis
Slate is a natural product that is mined from the ground, manufactured into blocks, and then split by hand into shingles. Slate can be one of the most aesthetically pleasing and dramatic appearing materials used for roofing in Minneapolis. No two pieces of slate used for shingles are alike, creating a naturally rich character to any roof. Roofing contractors in Minneapolis note that slate is a very durable choice for roofing that can withstand variable weather conditions, and can last up to 100 years or more.
Slate Roofing Facts
Even though slate is nature-made, there are still many options available for Minneapolis and St. Paul roofing customers. The following are important details to keep in mind when selecting your slate material:
- Slate is available in standard sizes ranging in length, thickness and weight depending upon your budget, scope of project and structural integrity.
- Slate comes in various colors, such as gray, black, green, and shades of red and purple. Every piece of slate from a batch extracted from a quarry will be unique but will possess subtle differences in color and hue, adding depth and beauty to the look of the roof.
- A slate roof system is comprised of the slate roofing, high-quality underlayment and flashings. The long-term success of a slate roof system is dependent on proper installation by roofing contractors of all three components.
- The desired grade of slate used for roofing is S1 Grade, which means that the slate has a maximum water absorption rate of 0.25%, can withstand 575 pounds without breaking, and a maximum depth of weather penetration or softening of .0002 inches. An S1 grade slate can be expected to last at least 75 years or more.
- Slate roofing can be installed using one of three methods, standard system, graduated system or a textural system.
- Maintenance on existing slate roofs is required to maximize the life of the system. Roofing contractors recommend that repairs such a replacing broken slate shingles, installing new underlayment and any flashing repairs be done promptly to maintain the integrity of the roof.
Call us Today!
Contact us at 612-722-7129 to speak with a Garlock-French representative. We look forward to answering your questions and assisting you with all of your slate roofing needs.